HEADER PIC

HEADER PIC

WELCOME

NOTE: THIS BLOG IS NO LONGER IN USE. PLEASE TAKE YOUR TIME VIEWING THIS BLOG. WHEN FINISHED YOU CAN JOIN ME AT MY NEW WEBSITE......

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

10/27 Fly Rod

10/27

Fly rod

Decided to breakout the fly rod after being inspired by Jim last weekend, plus he hooked me up with some little-bitty-incey-wincey rings to tie onto the end of my leader so that I could tie on a short
piece of braided tippet that is easier for my eye to see compared to the normal mono that is usually used. The fly I selected to use first was a creation of mine that resembles a tube bait that I use when fishing with the spin gear. I like the way the fly looks but my one concern is the circle hook I used for tying the fly. I have never really used circle hooks so I was not sure how the hook set would be when the smallmouths hit. I tossed the fly out and it did not take long to get a hit. Of course I also got a miss but I kind of expected to miss not having used the fly rod in quite some time. After a couple more hits and misses I went ahead and tied a Clouser which also had the circle hook. Got a hit, set the hook, fish on! I ended up catch 4 smallmouth on this day and enjoyed swinging the long stick once again. The little ring Jim gave me worked good with the braid tied on and I look foreword to getting out a couple more time with the fly rod before the snow starts to fly.
I enjoyed the day so much that I have begun to organize my fly tying equipment to maybe do some fly tying over the winter months. A big THANKS goes out to Jim for getting me going again on fly fishing. 






1 comment: